Altshuler Berzon LLP advocates for environmental protection and public health in litigation before state and federal courts, representing environmental groups, labor unions, public interest organizations, and individuals. Our practice includes enforcing federal and state laws concerning clean air and water, toxic substances, endangered species, forest protection, healthcare staffing, and administrative procedures.
- Overturned the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s biological opinion on the effect of the California Central Valley Project’s operations on threatened Delta smelt and obtained protective interim remedies, including reduced water pumping from the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta and an order requiring the Service to issue a new biological opinion.
- An action challenging the U.S. Navy’s five-year permit to use low frequency active sonar in close to seventy-five percent of the world’s oceans, and alleging that the approval and use of this sonar violates the Marine Mammal Protection Act, the National Environmental Policy Act, and the Endangered Species Act.
- Actions requiring manufacturers of several seaweed snacks to disclose the presence of harmful chemicals allegedly found in the snacks and to take measures to reduce the presence of those chemicals.
- Submission of comments on behalf of a local union regarding the environmental and social impact of proposed construction.
- The defense on appeal of a trial court order requiring paint manufacturers to contribute over $1 billion to abate hazards caused by deteriorating lead-based paint in private homes.
- Obtained a decision holding that the California Department of Forestry’s approval of a plan to log vast portions of California’s redwood forests violated the California Forest Practice Act’s requirements for a sustainable yield plan.
- Successfully advocated in land use proceedings, on behalf of a coalition of environmental, labor, and community organizations, for stringent environmental conditions to be placed on a large solid waste landfill in Los Angeles County.
- Representing Natural Resources Defense Council in a Clean Water Act case against the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for failure to comply with its federal duty to review and uphold water quality standards in the San Francisco Bay/Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta Estuary.
A more extensive description of our victories on behalf of the environment and public health can be found on our Firm Resume.